To celebrate 50 years of Castlelyons National School, the Parents Association have produced a calendar to mark this wonderful occasion.
The calendar includes photos of all pupils currently enrolled in Castlelyons National School, some photos from the past 50 years and all important dates for the school year ahead.
Due to the phenomenal success, the parents association have reprinted the calendars and are available to purchase in the Glanbia Co-Op in Castlelyons.
The calendar can also be purchased by contacting the Parents Association on
087- 2861149 or 086- 8578641
A huge thanks to the Castlelyons National School pupils for participating on Team Hope’s Christmas Shoebox Appeal, which is done annually. This year, we had an amazing response with over 130 shoeboxes donated! These will give many children in Africa and Eastern Europe a little love and joy this Christmas.
Castlelyons National School would like both parents and students to be aware of the Administration Policies that are now available to read by selecting the ‘Failte’ tab on the header of the site.
Please select the policy you wish to read and the policy will automatically download to the computer.
S.na Scol – Hurling 18.5.2016
Three schools in our section, Dungourney, Inch and ourselves have ended up with 3 wins out of 4 matches. A draw took place in the S.na Scol office yesterday, which left the following:
- We play Inch today.
- The winners today go through to semi-final V Conna on Monday.
- The losers today play Dungourney on Friday.
- The winners of that game will play Ballintotas on Monday in a second semi-final.
- Finals take place sometime between 30th May and 10th June – if we get that far. Let’s hope we do!
- Gach ádh, a bhuachaillí! (Best of luck, boys!)
Rang 3 have been very busy so far this year, the class would like to share some of the fantastic Art that they class have made over the last couple of months.
Also, the class had a very special day out earlier in the year to make pizza.
Pizza in Supermac’s
In October, Supermac’s Fermoy launched a competition for local schools in the area. The winner would receive a prize for the whole class of a trip to the local Supermac’s store to take part in a pizza making lesson.
In November, news came that the winner of the competition was Luke in Rang 3. Both Luke and the class were very happy to hear the news, they would be going to Supermac’s to not only make pizza but to eat the pizza too!
Pupils were invited to the store on November 20th. Pupils learnt what ingredients are used to make pizza dough, pupils saw how the dough is neaded and the pizza is rolled out to make its signature shape. The class then got to pick what toppings they would like to put on their own individual pizza.
The pizzas were then placed in the oven to cook. When the pizzas were ready the class had the opportunity to eat the delicious pizzas.
The class would like to thank Supermacs in Fermoy for a fantastic day in the store.
For Art the pupils in the class worked with clay to produce some magnificent pieces. Each pupil was given some clay and were asked to create a bowl, the pupils worked very hard to make these beautiful bowls.
First the pupils worked the clay to make the desired shape. Next, the bowls were let to dry for a number of days, finally, when the bowls were ready the pupils painted the bowls using bright paints.
The pupils became toy inventors earlier this year, pupils brought some materials from home and were given the instruction to create a toy. Pupils used materials like cardboard, paper, old bottles and boxes to create these toys. The pupils worked very hard on the toys and this shows in the toys that they produced.
Scoil Náisiúnta Chaisleáin Uí Liatháin
Issue 01/2016 Nuachtlitir Eanáir 2016
- Fáilte: Fáilte ar ais agus bliain nua faoi shéan is faoi mhaise dhaoibh go léir. (Welcome back and a Happy New Year to everyone).
- Bainne: The milk available through the school will cost €8.00 for this term. Please forward the money in a sealed envelope with your child/children’s name(s) and amount clearly marked on or before thisThursday, 14th January. Please note that no extra orders can be taken after this date. As part of our school’s Healthy Eating Policy, we encourage children to participate in this scheme.
- Carúil na Nollag: Comhghairdeas to all the children, teachers and SNAs on producing a most enjoyable Christmas Carol Service in the church on the 15th Sincere thanks to Fr. Coleman, Paul Murphy (Sound), John Mc Carthy (Caretaking), Carmel in the office, parents and all who helped to make the Carol Service such an enjoyable occasion. A special word of thanks to all the múinteoirí, SNAs and all the páistí for their hard work in the weeks leading up to the Carol Service. Míle buíochas.
- Cótaí / Caipíní: Parents, please ensure that your child wears a warm coat and cap coming to school each day during these winter months.
- Stampaí Euro Eddie: Euro Eddie savings stamps (with Fermoy Credit Union) are for sale for €1.00 each, on Wednesday’s. We encourage all children to participate in this savings scheme and save up for their school tours later in the year.
- Dialainn Obair Bhaile a Shíniú: We’d like to remind parents of children from Rang 1 to Rang 6 of the requirement to sign your child’s Homework Journal every night, having first checked that all assignments are completed satisfactorily. If your child doesn’t have homework done, for whatever reason, a written explanation is required. We encourage parents to prompt and guide your child with homework if necessary but do not complete the homework for your child. There are some useful tips on helping your child with homework at the back of your child’s school diary, (Rang 1- 6).
- Pearcáil: We remind parents not to park on the Zebra Crossing, opposite the school gate to the community car park please, for safety reasons.
- Comórtas Mháinséar na Nollag: Comghairdeas to Rang 6 and their teacher, Miss Cotter, who got 2nd place in Toss Bryan’s “Design a Crib” competition before Christmas. Maith sibh!
Parents’ Association News
- The Parents’ Association wishes to thank everyone who supported the Christmas card initiative as well as the fantastic support for the annual Christmas Raffle. Congratulations to the lucky prize-winners! A huge “Thank You” also to all the individuals and businesses that sponsored the fabulous prizes.
- We also wish to thank everybody for their generosity towards the Cork Simon Community Food Appeal on the night of the Carol Service.
- We’d like to wish everyone a happy and prosperous New Year and looking forward to your continued support in 2016.
- Our next meeting is Tuesday 2nd February at 8.30 m. All welcome!
- Dúnadh Scoile don téarma seo:
– Thurs/Fri – 18th/19th Feb 2016 – (Mid-term Break)
– Wed. 16th March – school closes for St. Patrick’s Day / Easter Hols.
– School re-opens Mon. 4th April 2016.
Le gach dea-ghuí,
Nelius de Róiste (Príomhoide)